Filing criminal and civil charges following sexual assault in Georgia


The term “sexual assault” can send shivers down the spine. While nothing can reverse the damage or trauma, seeing the perpetrator behind bars can bring some closure for victims and their families. If you (or a loved one) have suffered such an experience, you need to call one of the skilled sexual assault attorneys in Atlanta. Here’s more on what you need to know. 

What is sexual assault?

According to the laws in Georgia, sexual assault refers to any non-consensual sexual act. This may refer to unwanted touching, fondling, rape, molestation, groping, and enticing kids for sexual favors. People often do not realize that sexual assault can ruin someone’s life forever. While such crimes against women are more common, a considerable number of cases involve male victims. The act is entirely physical but can take a toll on someone’s health and wellbeing. 

Why should you take legal action?

Victims often deal with unprecedented pressure and trauma following sexual assault. Taking legal action against the perpetrator, however, is more than just about the legal battle. Every time a victim doesn’t hold an offender responsible for their action, someone else is at risk. The same perpetrator can sexually assault others just because they weren’t in jail for their first crime. Of course, there is also the aspect of financial compensation. Victims need to spend huge on recovering from sexual assault, including medical treatments and therapy. By filing a personal injury claim against the perp, it is possible to recover money for losses, although nothing can reverse the damage. 

How to file a case of sexual assault? 

There are two kinds of charges that a victim can bring against the prep – criminal and civil. When you file criminal charges, you need to prove that the perp was the one who committed the crime. If the accused is convicted, it typically refers to jail time and penalty. The burden of proof in criminal cases is considerably high. In addition to the criminal case you should definitely file, you may want to bring a civil lawsuit against the perp. This will allow you to recover compensation for your losses and damages. 

Hiring an attorney

If you want to file a personal injury case following sexual assault, you need to find an attorney who has experience representing victims. Since the burden of proof is less, it is easier to get a favorable outcome, while you can always continue with the criminal charges. 

Leave A Reply