Numerous car accidents happen on the roads of New York every month. Following an unfortunate accident, it is okay to feel overwhelmed and scared, but it is as important to follow the basic protocols. Among other things, you may want to consult a law firm such as King Law for knowing your rights and options to claim damages. In this post, we are sharing the tips that matter after a car accident or crash in New York.
- Stop at the accident scene – call 911. Don’t assume that you don’t need to wait at the car accident scene, if you were not injured or at fault. Stop immediately and make sure that you call the police and 911. The police report is important for the case ahead.
- Get medical assistance. Make sure that you check with a doctor immediately after an accident, even when your injuries don’t seem to be that serious. Sometimes, the impact of injuries caused by a car accident may not be immediately apparent.
- Get evidence. At the accident scene, if you are feeling okay and fine, consider exchanging information with the other drivers involved. Take their insurance and contact details, and if there were witnesses, seek their contact information too.
- File a report. In New York, drivers are required to file the MV-104 report with the DMV within 10 days, if the accident resulted in injuries, death, or involved property damage of $1,000 or more.
- Inform your insurer. Make sure that you report the crash to your insurance company within 30 days, so as to get the benefits of no-fault insurance you have purchased. This is highly important for getting your due compensation. The insurer will investigate the matter and decide on your claim.
Contact an attorney
While you don’t need to hire a car accident lawyer for your case by law, this could be the most critical step for your case. Ensure that you hire an attorney that you can trust, and don’t forget to ask about their credentials. One of the key reasons to hire an attorney for your car accident case in NY is to negotiate with the insurance company. There are circumstances, when you can also file a personal injury lawsuit against the at-fault driver.
Let an attorney decide the right course of action for your case, so that you recover all your losses suffered because of the unfortunate car accident.